Throughout February, Monitor embarked on sea trials up and down the East River. Except for a brief sortie up the James River to help, unsuccessfully, in the action unfolding at Richmond, the Monitor stayed uneventfully at anchor in Hampton Roads for the rest of the summer of 1862. Captain Worden came to visit the ship as well, still in recovery. She was placed under tow of the paddle steamer warship USS Rhode Island. She was placed in reserve September 11, 1906, but returned to full commission between 7 June and 30 August 1907, for a midshipman cruise, and between 21 May and 19 June 1908 for participation in ordnance experiments. $131.99 Diving on the Monitor may be restricted not only because of its fragile and historic nature but because it is also a designated U.S. Navy gravesite for 16 sailors, of which only two bodies were ever recovered during the turret recovery expedition in 2002. Walker and Company, New York; 1997. He survived the sinking of the Monitor on Dec. 31, 1862, and went on to serve on the USS Brandywine, Florida, Belmont, Wabash, and Commodore Barney. Within two days she was swamped by high waves while under tow. He ordered fire at the object. As years turned to decades and into centuries, many believed the Monitor would never be found.Monitor did leave a lasting legacy. Famous for the Battle of Hampton Roads. Ericsson asked him to wait a day for an answer to his questions, and Bushnell agreed. Revised October 08, 2010 by the NOAA Ocean Explorer Webmaster In Hampton, Norfolk, Newport News and Portsmouth, local residents and soldiers turned out to watch the first ironclad duel in history. This is the first fight between the ironclads. While onboard the last of these, he suffered from frost bite and was discharged on May 19, 1865. Monitor's engines began producing toxic fumes leading to everyone evacuating the ironclad onto the top decks. Immediately Welles published an advertisement calling for plans for ironclad warships. Maritime wise, the Confederacy was being placed in a chokehold by the Union Navy. Unwilling to surrender her to Union forces, her captain ran her aground and ordered his crew to set her afire. Embittered by some unpleasant dealings with the Naval Department over a tragic incident with the warship Princeton nearly twenty years earlier, Ericsson had resolved never to do business with the government again—but he couldn't resist sharing his ingenious design with a kindred spirit. The son of a professional welder and shipbuilder, Dad grew up on the shores of Hampton Roads where the Monitor and Virginia fought centuries ago and was the first person to tell me the story of the duelling ironclads.