The ships were fitted with two armoured decks, 1 and 2.5 in (25 and 64 mm) thick, respectively. Dorsetshire was sunk in 1942, and so it was only Norfolk that underwent a refit in 1944, during which her aircraft, catapult and X turret were removed.
The single 2-pounder guns were removed, and two quadruple mounts for 0.5-inch Vickers machine guns were added.
The bridge and after superstructure were lowered. Venerable was the first to be decommissioned, in December 1918 immediately after the war.
In 1912–1913, London was used to test the use of ramp-launched airplanes from ships. The bridge was moved aft to lessen the effects of muzzle blast from B turret when the guns were trained abaft the beam. The turrets sat atop 12 in (305 mm) barbettes, and the casemate battery was protected with 6 in of Krupp steel; the casemates had 2 inches of steel on their sides and backs. [non-primary source needed]. Each gun was supplied with 80 shells. Throughout their peacetime careers, the ships were repeatedly overhauled and had minor modifications carried out, including alterations to their light armament, addition of searchlights, and installation of improved fire-control and wireless systems.
[page needed] These restrictions posed new engineering challenges and forced compromises upon designers in how to extract the best balance of speed, armament and protection. From February to April 1918, London was converted into a minelayer, and she operated in that role for the rest of the war.
During their prewar careers, their total complement ranged from 724 to 768, though while serving as the flagship of the Mediterranean Fleet in 1908, Queen's crew numbered 803, including the command staff; after having been reduced to a depot ship in 1918, Venerable's crew numbered just 361. more. To keep weight within acceptable margins, the hull was cut down by one deck aft of "Y" turret.  They are generally considered part of the London class, but the difference in the mounting of their 12-pounder guns, their lower displacement, and their later construction than the Duncans lead some authors to view them as constituting a Queen class separate from the Formidable and London classes. , The last of the ships to commission, Prince of Wales, was the last battleship for which Director of Naval Construction Sir William Henry White had sole design responsibility. 1929], 0.5-inch (12.7 mm L/50) Mk.III machine guns, 0.5-inch (12.7 mm) L/50 Mk.III machine guns, NavWeaps.com, British 8"/50 (20.3 cm) Mark VIII, List of cruisers of the Royal Australian Navy, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=County-class_cruiser&oldid=965408234, Wikipedia articles needing page number citations from January 2020, Wikipedia articles needing factual verification from January 2020, Articles with unsourced statements from February 2010, Articles to be expanded from February 2010, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, 685 standard, 710 as flagship, 784 during wartime, Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Company, Govan, 8,000 nautical miles (15,000 km; 9,200 mi) at 10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph), 2,300 nautical miles (4,300 km; 2,600 mi) at 30 knots (56 km/h; 35 mph), 4.5-inch (114 mm) with 1-inch (25 mm) closing, 1-inch (25 mm) faces, sides, rears, crowns & barbettes, 8 × 21-inch (533 mm) torpedoes in quad mounts, 3.5-inch (89 mm) with 1-inch (25 mm) closing bulkheads (, This page was last edited on 1 July 2020, at 04:35.
She was scrapped in 1959.
Her anti-aircraft armaments were improved as for her sisters, but the multiple 2-pounders and their directors were carried aft, by the lattice structure. Lenton expresses doubts whether the Admiralty ever informed the Government of these excesses, as with war imminent, "there were more pressing demands on their time". They had heightened funnels as built. However, the hull had originally been carefully designed to reduce weight based on the initial arrangements.
During 1937, the 4-inch guns were replaced by twins, octuple 2-pounders were added around the after superstructure and the single guns forward were removed. The external bulges were not present, reducing the beam by 2 feet (0.61 m), and the hull was lengthened by 2 feet 9 inches (0.84 m); these changes translated into a 3⁄4-knot increase in speed.
At the same time, Venerable was transferred to the Dardanelles, where she supported Allied troops ashore in August before also being sent to the Adriatic at the end of the year. The turret design was needlessly complicated by the original requirement that they should be capable of anti-aircraft fire and were thus provided with a maximum elevation of 70°, despite the inability to train and elevate sufficiently quickly to track aerial targets and the complete lack of a suitable fire control system. She also was the last of the twenty-nine battleships of the Majestic, Canopus, Formidable, London, and Duncan classes, commissioned between 1895 and 1904, which had all been based on the single, standard Majestic design and reached their final development in Queen and Prince of Wales.